Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pom Pom Jars

I'm not above bribing my five year old with pom poms. In fact, I think its the smartest thing we have done. We use them to enforce good behavior and punish bad. We have offenses that warrant pom poms being taken away, and usually there are warnings (with time outs) before it gets to that point.
For the most part, its just pom poms in. He is usually guaranteed three, and even so it takes about month to fill his jar.
When he fills it he gets to pick out a toy. We debated...money, toy, in the end he still doesn't seem to get the concept of money to buy things so we went with just getting him a toy. Within reason. We keep it under $25.00.

This month, he wanted a Violin. So for the second time, first time in his memory, we are off to Toys R Us.
Most people would scream, cry, get a root canal before taking a five year old to a toy store. But, my kid is actually pretty good in stores. I mean, yes he can be a pain, but not the all out freak show you see with some kids. For which I am thankful. Still...I was a tad apprehensive when I told him we were going to a Toy Store.
"It just sells toys?" He said with wide eyes
"Yep just a toy store and your going to be good right?"
"You mean it just sells toys? No toilet paper? Or food? Or anything?"
"Yep just toys."
"That. Is. The most amazing thing." Big huge bug eyes with sparkles in them. Well worth any anxiety I had about bring him.

We pull into the parking lot and he is all but bouncing in anticipation. We walking in and you can almost hear hallelujah from his smile.
Again, well worth any trouble this might cause. Because of his reaction I willing to spend a tad more on his toy. He doesn't know where to look first so we end up casing the place three or four times. He spends  good amount of time by the trains, then by the musical instruments (sadly no Violin's). We keep circling back to the cars, so I am thinking he is going to go with a new car. When we find the coolest toy (at least I thought for a kid who likes Cars and likes Remote Control ones to boot). A Mater RC car! I know coolest thing ever.
Price check showed just over 27. Perfect. "So you want to get this?" "hmm...maybe...lets see what else there is." Okay. We go around a few more times. Back to the cars...
But now...see now he has spotted something so cool, so amazing that it puts all other toys to shame. He is so excited...he is almost beyond words.
"Mommy...can I get this?"
"Really Cody? And entire toy store and this is what you find and want."
"Its the best thing ever and I have never had one."
"But...but its not a toy...you can't play with it."
"I know but I want it."
"Well what about Mater?"
"He's okay but I want this." Nothing I said could convince him otherwise. He wanted it. It was what he wanted to trade his pom poms for. A price check showed a whopping 10 bucks. I was getting out of this cheep. The whole way to the register I ask him if he is sure. He never wavers, through the rest of the store (because of course the cars are in the back of the store). He was determined. We paid, left the store, and it has hardly been out of his hands since.

Its always amazing to me what will please a child the most. For his birthday, balloons were the big hit over everything. For Christmas last year I think it was the trampoline.

What ever it is that makes them happy is worth it though. Whether its a toy or time. And of course usually, time makes up for every single toy in the world. Because, maybe its just me, but the time we spent looking together, driving to the store, and just hanging out, was more fun and more rewarding then the toy. Course, that might just be me...he might have just been happy to get the most amazing thing ever. Still...a mom can dream.

Oh what was it that was cooler then all the toys Toys R us has to offer? Why a buzz lightyear umbrella of course!

1 comment:

  1. aww he's adorable!! I knew it had to be something ridiculous haha <3

    ReplyDelete