Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Reflections

It dawned on me while reading another friends blog, that I haven't updated on how Cody is doing in awhile. So I thought I should get right on that!

First check out my pumpkin. Three months old and four years old! I never thought I would say it, but BOY TIME FLIES!!!


For those of you who don't know yes this is a big, nasty bump on his head. His first real injury. I think that is pretty good at four! He was pushed on the playground. When ask why the kid pushed him Cody replied "I think maybe I was going to slow". Not a good reason to be pushed but a funny answer anyway.

So Cody has been receiving Occupational and Speech Therapy for about three months now. He goes to a wonderful school that is able to provide both.

These are things he has accomplished that he wasn't able or had a hard time doing before:

Occupational:
He can now zip his jackets/pants
He can now do buttons
Put on and secure shoes
Put on a jacket
write his name and a few other letters
Hold a pencil the right way
Hold a fork the right way
Make stick figures (this was my favorite!!)
Trace letters/numbers and shapes

Speech
Okay so with speech, he can speak just fine. Everyone can understand him. He has a hard time speaking which I know doesn't make sense, but its hard to explain. If you ask him how his day was he says "fine". No elaboration. No stories. Ask him what Toy Story is about...nada. Although, he can quote that and many other movies. Has no problem learning songs, phone numbers, address etc. Its getting the information from his brain to his mouth that seems to be the problem.

Anyway that being said Cody now:
Asks questions (never did before)
Elaborate on a story
Makes connections (i.e we were talking about fish and he made the connection that sea horses also lived underwater).
It may not seem like much but we defiantly notice a difference in his conversation skills.

Being at school is also helping with his social skills, which he was lacking too. I see it when I pick him up or drop him off. He says hi to his friends, and bye. Apparently he has a 'group' that he hangs with! :)

Now some Cody speak:
When I am 21 I'll drink soda. When I am 13 I'll do this dishes. When I am 14 I'll be the biggest
Daddy and I match, but you don't match. Nope Daddy and I have penis and you don't.
Daddy and I match, we have blue eyes, but you don't you have green.
One day I will be biggest and you be the littlest
I loved this one " You are going to take me a shower" Its so funny to hear them try to work out the language.
There are so many more, but I forget them :( I will have to try and write them down. He really comes up with some good ones. 

I was thinking back today about the 'early' years. (I know, I know WAY to early to be doing this) but I find my self doing it all the time. Missing stages already. But I was talking to a coworker and I was saying, I remember the endless nights, countless bottles, mounds of diapers, hours of screaming and calling my mom and crying saying this is horrid!! She would tell me, "Enjoy this time, savour every moment" Course I thought she was off her rocker. Now I know better. Just one more hour hold a newborn in my arms. Just one more toothless smile. One more baby giggle. Not to say that having a four year old isn't fun, because it is. I have learned, perhaps the hard way, to enjoy all the moments. Even the not so pleasant ones. Cody is an amazing son. I look at him, as I did tonight was he was getting ready for bed, and just say "I am so lucky." I get teary just thinking about how absolutely wonderful he is.

Its shocking to me what he has accomplished in four years. It may seem like he should be doing more. His peers can write sonnets and shoot hoops, and are black belts. Well, I think ANY child that can walk on their own after only being on this alien planet for four years is doing awesome. But not only can he walk, he goes to the bathroom, eats, dresses, writes, listens...and speaks! He picked up the language! Its amazing to me. Another friend of mine is pregnant. She just had her first ultrasound. The baby is the size of a grain of rice. They figure she is about 7 weeks along. The babies HEART BEAT is 130! 130!!! Its mind blowing and beautiful and just astounding. 7 weeks ago nothing, now there are cells forming, and a heart beating...in four years that year beat will be inside a beautiful boy or girl. Who will dress themselves/eat/talk/play. Wonders never cease. Life truly is amazing.

I feel, as a parent, that I am getting...a second life so to speak. I get to live all over again, watching my son. I get to experience his experiences, see through his eyes, listen through his ears. I never in a million years thought that I would be part of something so wonderful. But here I am. With this beautiful, intelligent, funny, amazing little boy. I honestly feel like a very lucky mommy.

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of him! He seems to be doing so well! I had to share some of Cody's quotes with Greg, they made him laugh.

    Also you are doing a great job, you are part of his success. Just believing in him helps so much. He might not know it now, but he will. He is lucky to have such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing. Cody is PERFECTION. Thank you for being such a wonderful person and friend. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my nephew to pieces! I'm very proud he's doing so well!! Even when I saw him last month I noticed a big difference in how he interacted. I hate being away from him Dx that being said, I still never want kids haha You make it all sound so miraculous and lovely. Nope. Not for me. But I am very happy to have a nephew to spoil rotten!

    ReplyDelete