Friday, April 8, 2011

THE BIG K

And no, I am not talking about K-Mart. Kindergarten. That small right of passage for many five year old's born at the right time in the year.

A right of passage that will be delayed for Cody until he is six. Do not pity us, or Cody. While this decision was...suggested by his Preschool teacher, I think its been in the back of my mind for quiet sometime.

So here it is. Today was Cody's Preschool evaluation meeting (not the biggie at the end of month for his Therapy), but just regular Preschool for placement in Kindergarten. Or in his case, the fact that he isn't quiet ready. Mrs. H, his teacher, whom I admit to not liking much in the beginning of the year, is really amazing. She said that Cody, while brilliant of course, is still having a serious problem with his fine motor skills. He can barely write his name, or color. He still has a hard time cutting.
I confirmed this evaluation with his other teachers in his new school. They agreed that, while Cody was very smart (their words I promise), he was still 'little'. Cody was born in September, so he faces going to school with kids that were born an entire year before him. (those kids born in November). Even six months can be a huge difference. I agree. That and his fine motor skills, seem like really good reasons to hold him back one year. Let him get these things down, grow a little, and be ready and fit for Kindergarten when he is six.

This leads us with a bit of good news. A sign almost. See we were worried about when we were coming home. If we weren't able to come home by September we were going to have to wait until next summer. Now, with Cody not going to school full time, we are able to leave whenever we need/want to. Therefore, we will be able to come home in Fall. We are excited about this. We are excited that Cody will start 'real' school in Maine, where we went to school.

I know some people would be confused by this. But why push Cody. Really? There is no reason. Who says you have to start school at five? According to Mrs. H, Kindergarten (at least here in NY), is more like first grade. I want Cody to be ready for that. I honestly, in my heart, don't think he will be ready for that kind of environment in a few short months. I want Cody to succeed in life. The best way to do this, is make sure he is ready for school. Another year of therapy and growing will make a huge difference.

A parents life is full of choices, each one leading to a different outcome with another list of choices and paths. You never know if the one you choose is right, you can only make the one that you feel in your heart is right, and pray that it is. The one thing you want, is for your child to be happy, healthy, safe, and to succeed. In anyway they chose. No one can really tell you how to handle these things, and no one can really tell you what is right for your family, your children. Only you can do that. In the end, you do your best. That is all any good parent can be expected to do.

2 comments:

  1. and I mean if he ends up super excelling later, he can always skip a grade.. staying back really doesn't mean anything until it's because you're flunking out of Biology and you skip class to smoke behind the bleachers, I'm pretty sure then it becomes an issue ;)
    Do you mean you'll be moving to Maine *this* fall or *next fall* 2011, or 2012? I figure you mean 2012 but I was a little confused by that.
    anyway, I'm glad my nephy wephy is smart, and who really needs to know how to write their name. I mean my signature looks like a cat wrote it, and I'm very successful... academically hahah

    ReplyDelete