Monday, June 20, 2011

Easy answer - Don't Have Kids



I'll admit, I love reading the headlines and stories on Yahoo. Sometimes you find gems, a blogger who you start following cause they know how to deal with picky eaters. Or important information like who's who in Hollywood and what movies they are currently in.

Today I stumbled upon a very good one. A book coming out, entitled. Torn: The true stories of kids, Career and modern motherhood. A quote or two from this book.


"I wasn't feeling very empowered. I was feeling tricked and misled and angry. Why had I worked my ass off to start a career that I would only have to derail once I gave birth?"

..."Giving up the money (more than half our income) was hard. Giving up the label and prestige was harder…. Feeding her and getting her to sleep were victories. But where was the 'A' I was used to getting, and where was my bonus?"  

There are more like this. This is where I went off a bit. (Thankfully I have a very understanding husband who agrees with me).

Girls, if you want your big fancy career your super duper paycheck, designer clothing, etc. etc. and don't want that "spoiled" by having to have to 'gasp' be a mom, then don't. Seriously. Don't. The quote "tricked and misled and angry" by what? 

I got pregnant with out trying. I don't call it a mistake. I don't called it an oops. I call it gift. A wonderful miracle I didn't even know I needed. If you willingly think, career, husband okay time for kid and then say wait what? you mean I have to pick them up at daycare when they are sick? What's this a performance I have to attend, play dates, you mean they don't raise themselves? Then holy goodness DON'T have them! There are around 7billion people on this planet. That's right, over 7billion. I think the world can live with selfish people breeding. Fun fact, kids always know how you feel. Always.

If you can't put your career on the back burner, put yourself second, put your kids needs before you own, then you shouldn't have kids. Seriously wake up and think about that. That doesn't make you a bad person. It doesn't. You can adopt, later in life, you can have children once you are settled in your career. Freeze your eggs so they are ready when you are. Whatever, there are so many options. You don't have to go and have kids because society says to. Don't have them if you can't handle them.

It bothers me beyond belief when people use their kids as an excuse. "shucks, I would have gotten my doctorate, *looks at child* but you know..." "Yeah I use to be a size 0 *looks at baby* but you know..."
Man up damn it. Its a kid, your kid. Stop treating them like they are a mistake, or an obstacle.

This week, for an example. My son has half days all week. Sucks to be me right? No, why? I get to spend time with my son. Because the only regret I have working is that it takes me away from him. I get through this knowing he is having FUN and learning while I am slaving away. I have maybe five minutes ten with bad traffic, to go from worker bee to mom. I do this because I want to. I do this because I love being a mom. And I never asked to be one. This wasn't a quote 'choice'. I have dirty laundry that piles up, dust in the corners, and there is a mystery meat in the freezer that I keep forgetting to throw out. I like it. Yes it stresses me out, yes I get frustrated, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I don't remember the last time I got a good night sleep (okay that one I would gladly have back), my figure will probably never be the same. But I have laugh lines and I like them. My tummy is the perfect pillow for a little head, and they make a wonderful beverage called coffee that I am in favor of.

I posted an article this week for men to man up and be dads. Well women, you have to man up and be a mom too. Just because you have the ability to have babies doesn't mean you are exempt for the rest of their life. And it doesn't mean you get to blame them for ruining your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment