Thursday, October 20, 2011

Be Proactive




I pick up Cody from school the other day and the following conversation takes place:

Me: "How was your day?"
Cody "Not good." he says very mournfully. I am thinking, darn the class fish died.
Me "Oh what happen?"
Cody "Because...everyone wasn't being proactive."
Me "Proactive? Everyone wasn't being proactive?"
Cody "Yep they weren't they were being bad."

I was floored. I knew he in a proactive school, they have the seven habits and the first one is to be proactive. They have a cheer. Be Proactive Be Be proactive. So I know he knows the word and probably does practice it. Still to hear your five year old tell you that people in his class weren't being proactive and this meant he had a bad day. Well it was rather funny.
This philosophy is actually based on a book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - by Stephen R. Covey which I didn't know. The seven habits are (in case you are curious):
1. Habit one: Be Proactive. (ah ha.)
2  Habit two: Begin with the end in mind
3. Habit three: Put first things first
4. Think win-win
5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
6. Synergize
7. Sharpen the saw.

There are definitions, whole chapters devoted to these, and I am sure Cody is learning about all of them. But most important folks ...be proactive. Its amazing what kids are learning these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment