Monday, January 10, 2011

Childhood Memories...they aren't what you think!


Okay so we are watching Bambi, and I seem to remember it being longer. I remember this epic tale of forest animals who fight starvation, hunters, fires, each other. I remember epic battle scenes and death scenes that lasted forever...All the scenes that stick out in my mind were epic hour long scenes...come to find out they are at most a few minutes...

The battle he has with the other deer, totally lasted hours, with bloodshed and cliffs, same name calling. I think there were actually a gang of deer and they had a dance sequence.
The fire, took most of the movie! I mean we are talking this great inferno that destroyed everyone and everything. Blacking the sun out for years.
His mom dying (spoiler sorry), literally took at least 1/2 an hour and was complete with final words.

In reality the entire movie is only about an hour and half long. The scenes that I really associated with this movie, only last a few minutes. What does this say about our memories? More speciaically childhood ones? Are they reliable at all? Can we really look back and say "yes of course I had pink skates and they had a rainbow on them and I was the best skater in school." when the reality is no, they were white, had no rainbows and you couldn't stand up to save your soul!

What is real?! Seriously! Watch Bambi again, make a list of things you remember, see if they compare. In fact I plan on watching other classics. Just to make sure they are the same. Thankfully Beauty and the Beast didn't dissapoint me...or my memories.

1 comment:

  1. DON'T WATCH FOX AND THE HOUND!!! Save yourself the torment!! haha I don't remember anything from childhood so I guess any spark would be good HAHA

    ReplyDelete